Increasing Manager Effectiveness and Leadership Development
Goal: To provide executive development for business leaders organization-wide.
Solution: Executive, consultant to human resources group.
Designed, developed, and facilitated a three-session business communications training around organizational communication strategy for all business leaders organization-wide.
Challenge: Maintain cutting-edge topics with motivating presenters to an international client base. Clients work with the Executive Development Center for multiple offerings with multiple audiences so service partners need to be flexible with a wide range of available tools.
Goal: To partner with credible consulting firms in order to provide executive leadership offerings to clients.
Solution: Conducted customized training for executive development offerings, including:
- Polaris Leadership Development Program
- Andersen Leadership Academy and Leadership by Andersen Programs
- CHS Foundations of Leadership
- Entrust Datacard Leadership Academy Professional Staff Leadership Development Program
- Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of MN Children’s Professional Staff Leadership Development Program
- Two 2-year multi session series for Thomson Reuters all offered virtually:
- Creating performance coaches of managers
- Global Business Communication Skills (more than 12 countries represented)
- Three offerings for various Mayo audiences:
- Mayo Administrators Program – designed to further develop leadership and management skills in Administrator Chairs.
- Mayo Regional Health System – designed to develop team skills and strengthen overall resource development within Mayo Regional Health System
- Mayo Physician Chairs Program – designed to further develop leadership skills in Physician Chairs – Offerings I and II.
- Minnesota Department of Transportation Project Academy
- Other customized client sessions include: Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Honeywell, illbruck, Hinckley Grand Casinos, Lifetouch, Jostens, MnDOT, Rexam, Select Comfort and others.
- Developed and facilitated for more than 15 years in the public offerings of Minnesota Management Academy and Minnesota Management Institute
Presentation: Coaching for Executives
A powerful three-day workshop experience for senior managers to develop strategic and persuasive communication strategies. A high energy, fast-paced, relevant program for today’s business leaders who wish to maximize their presentation skills.
- Mystic Lake Casino
- North Memorial Hospital
“Amy is an excellent presenter. She is very effective in helping one learn and apply it at work.” “Facilitator is very motivating. She helps me to be enthusiastic about my role.” Participant Comments
Challenge: Mayo Clinic wanted to raise the bar on their current management development offerings. Today’s management is also called on to lead a diverse workforce, respond to cultural changes and juggle multiple management responses. They needed their management development program to focus on developing those skills.
Goal: To update an existing management program and provide critical management skills to supervisors and managers.
Solution: Design, develop, and facilitate four customized modules to new managers and supervisors 2-4 times per year.
“Working with ECCO is like having a part of my internal group working on a project. I can always trust that the product I get is customized to my organization, high quality and helps us execute flawlessly on our programs. We always consider them first when we need external work done.” Claudia Bruber, Manager, Learning and Development
Challenge: As an energy provider spanning five states, Xcel Energy needed to develop leadership competencies in a consistent timely manner.
Goal: To provide an annual leadership development program offered for three days quarterly.
- Develop an overall strategy that linked with the defined corporate leadership competency model.
- Design and develop four three-day modules complete with leader guide, participant guide, Power Point visuals, activities, pre-work and team follow-up activities.
- Partner with internal organization development staff and designers to create final deliverables.
Challenge: To identify and create long-term partnerships with trusted service providers who have a background in mentoring initiatives.
Goal: To partner with credible service providers in an effort to provide mentoring processes to their clients.
- Executive consultant to various mentoring programs, role is to train implementation team, mentors, and mentees on initiative and expectations, then facilitate interactions, process checks, and follow-ups throughout 18-month process.
- Clients serviced include: Paine Webber, Chase Federal Reserve Bank, BMS, among others.
- Designed and developed Masters training for clients to create internal expertise in mentoring process.
- Three-day training includes: 4 Leader Guides, 3 Participant Guides, and supporting materials.
Challenge: Bring labor and management together in Project Advisory Councils to provide input and direction to capital improvement projects.
Goal: To implement a communications strategy during a large-scale capital improvement project.
Solution: Metropolitan Council – Environmental Services, Program Management Center
- Developed and facilitated communications strategy and plans associated with capital improvement projects throughout the organization and with the community.
- Objective was to use communications as a tool to initiate the collaborative process and bring various levels, groups, and expertise together for the betterment of the capital improvement process.
Metropolitan Council – Environmental Services, Environmental Planning and Evaluation
- Facilitator for re-engineering process of their department in the organizational restructuring
- Oversee development and implementation of communication plan associated with project
- Created and facilitated Project Advisory Committee of cross-functional participants who work toward creating the ideal department for the organization
- Goal is to make recommendations that will affect the restructuring process.
Client: King Faisal Specialist Hospital – Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“We have worked with [ECCO International] to coordinate and present a management education series via satellite transmission to our Clinical Services staff at King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center. We have found these sessions to be very beneficial with interactive learning for the development for management skills.” Ms. Jan Kazan-Jammal, MT(ASCP), MA, Laboratory Administrator
Challenge: Develop a comprehensive management/supervisory education series for clinical services staff at King Faisal Specialist Hospital – Research Center in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – delivered interactively via satellite transmission!
Goal: To increase management skills of all management levels from beginners to high-level executive managers in the clinical services staff.
- Create a comprehensive supervisory/management development curriculum-a full curriculum addressing all competencies identified that are important to KFSH-RC to develop.
- Assemble a proven multicultural team – Dr. Amy S. Tolbert, Dr. Gary N McLean, Dr. Louellen Essex and Dick DeBlieck with more than 75 years of collective supervisory development experience across cultures.
- Develop proven programs – Training modules proven effective with a wide variety of client organizations.
- Assign key implementation actions – Specific actions for participants to apply based on the objectives for each module.
- Provide proven value – Competitive pricing inclusive of advance planning, linked to competencies, satellite-delivered, and a process to monitor and reinforce the training.
- The approach to meetingKFSH-RC’s training needs encompassed three steps:
- Advance planning
- Training delivery
- Impact assessment
Change Education and Communication Development
Challenge: Bring various departments together to lead and direct changes in a coherent unified effort.
Goal: To create a leadership and communications strategy.
- Designed and facilitated customized meeting management training.
- Followed ECCO organization development (OD) process to devise with CFL Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) Leadership Team a customized strategy to work through current issues.
- ECCO’s OD process includes: observe and listen to client needs, analyze needs, strategize in joint session with client as to possible actions and solutions, deliver solution/provide resources to deliver solution, manage expectations throughout process and adjust actions accordingly, and debrief project acknowledging successes and lessons learned.
- Designed, developed, and facilitated custom Business Communications Training to CFL-FNS Leadership Team over 2-month period.
“This has been the best leadership day we have had!” Participant Hospital Senior Leadership
“Amy brought an enthusiasm to the day that was appreciated by all attending. She is a delight to work with and was very thorough in her preparation and delivery of the material to make our training day very beneficial and rewarding – with great “hands-on” exercises!” Jon D. Tufte, Facilitator of Organizational Development, St. Cloud Hospital – CentraCare Health System
Challenge: The St. Cloud Hospital Organization Development Department wanted to further develop leaders skills in managing diversity.
Goal: Produce an event that would educate and train hospital leaders on a cutting-edge topic.
- ECCO worked closely with the design team to craft a highly customized leadership event.
- There was a pre-survey distributed electronically to determine the direction and content.
- E-challenges formed the basis of a highly interactive day while working through real world issues such as style differences, generation gaps, and how to manage conflict in challenging situations.
- Data collected during the session provided a 6-month follow up strategy, which helped the leadership to honor diversity on a daily basis.
“I have utilized Dr. Tolbert’s services multiple times in the past several years and found her skills to be of the highest caliber.I would recommend her (and have!) to any of my Mayo Clinic colleagues.” Kay Thiemann, Administrator, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo School of Graduate Medicine Education
Challenge: Mayo Clinic Department of Patient Support Services saw a need to educate 1,100+ staff in a one day offering on how to interact with an increasingly diversified workforce and patient base.
Goal: To utilize a creative training methodology to increase understanding of, and interactions between multicultural groups both employee and patient based.
- Design, develop, and facilitate a customized 2-hour session to be repeated three times in one day
- Create an ongoing series of education to enhance education.
- Create curriculum based on facts and current literature while engaging the cognitive effective and behavioral domains.
- Utilize drama learning- scripted scenarios with professional actors to portray diversity situations that can occur in the workplace.
Contact ECCO International for Free Initial Consultation
For more information or a free initial consultation regarding communication strategies, management training or leadership development, please either call us at (651) 636-0838 or contact us via email. We look forward to working with you.